Man, I don’t know about you, but this summer has FLOWN by since we have been so busy. I love making the most of our time together, and enjoy keeping us busy doing different activities. But I try to make sure I take care of myself too, so I don’t get run down. Here are some of my top tips for self-care:
- Get plenty of rest. Sleep is crucial for your well being, so make sure you are getting the rest that you need. If you have trouble falling asleep at night, here are a few things that might help: Stop drinking caffeine by 3 pm, try limiting all blue light devices (phones, tablets, TVs) one hour before going to bed.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. The better you fuel your body with good food, the better you will feel! Make sure you are getting LOTS of veggies and healthy proteins. I typically try to have a serving of vegetables 4 times a day.
- Drink LOTS of water! You should be drinking at least half your body weight in ounces of water daily. Find it hard to get in your water? Try adding fruit to it to give it some flavor.
- Exercise regularly. Finding and committing to a good fitness routine is important for your overall health. Not only is it good for your cardiovascular health, it’s good for your mental health as well, and is a great stress reliever. If you’re needing help in this area, I would be more than happy to get you started on the right path!
- Feed your mind. I know some people don’t like to read as much as I do, and that’s fine. You can now listen to books electronically, or there are some awesome podcasts out there. Whatever method you choose, make sure you are doing something to grow yourself! This is one of the best things I have ever done for myself! Complete game changer.
- Do something every day for YOURSELF, whether that’s just some quiet time alone to read or meditate, or even just take a hot bath. Do something YOU enjoy and do it ALONE! You’d be surprised how this can recharge your batteries.
- And lastly, go on a date with your spouse or significant other at least once a month! If you’re not married or dating, have a girls (or guys) night out! It’s so important to have those connections, and nurture that relationship regularly. I also like to add to this by finding new things to do or restaurants to try. It keeps things interesting.
Giving your body that little bit of extra special treatment is a great and natural way to relieve stress. Taking care of yourself can also make you a better caretaker for others. If you’re a mom, it’s SO important to take care of yourself so you can take care of your kids. When you neglect your own needs, it can cause you to be unhappy, have a low self-esteem, and even cause levels of resentment. So, when you start feeling a little grumpy, take a time out and spend a little time doing something just for you! You’ll be glad you did!
What are some of your favorite self care tips? I’d love to hear them!