Do you find yourself struggling to make healthier choices when the holidays roll around? I know I do! Especially if you’ve been invited to a get together where multiple people are bringing dishes. Here are some tips to help you make healthier food choices while still enjoying those holiday get togethers:
1. Have a healthy snack BEFORE going to a holiday get together. Even something as simple as a piece of fruit or a small portion of vegetables would be a great option. You definitely do not want to show up starving, because you will likely have less control over your choices.
2. If you are in charge of the food, or even if you are just asked to bring a dish, choose something you know you can eat! Look up healthier recipes for your favorite dishes and make those instead.
3. Always aim to fill half your plate with vegetables (and no I don’t mean potatoes!). About a fourth of your plate should be protein, and the other fourth should be fiber filled carbs (healthy carbs like whole grains, sweet potatoes, etc.).
4. Drink at least 8 ounces of water before you sit down for a meal. This will ensure that you stay hydrated and help you feel full.
5. Be active! Take some time to go for a walk, or even get a workout in the day of your holiday festivities. This is good for so many reasons! You’ll burn calories, rev up your metabolism, and help aid in digestion are just a few of the many benefits of getting in some kind of physical activity.
I could really go on and on, but I will leave you with those for now. Do you have any tips you’d like to share? Feel free to leave them in the comments. As always, I would love to hear from you!